Pages

Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Favourites, pt. 1

Chocolate? 

Hi, my name is Heather Wielding, and I'm a chocoholic. You could not believe the amount of chocolate I can go through in a week. My favourite is Cadbury's Dairy Milk, which, to my sadness, is unavailable in Finland. I also have a deep relationship with KitKat, which also is hard to come by here. 
Want to make me happy? Send me Cadbury's chocolates. 

Drinks?

As mentioned earlier, I really can't survive without coffee. Being down with a cold is the only time I substitute coffee for tea, and it makes me throw things at Husband. I like my coffee dark, black, and plentyful. No milk, no sugar, just the joy of caffeine. 
The act of drinking pleases me. Some people eat to gain pleasure, I drink. Coffee, water, green tea. My favourite alcoholic beverage is Gin. I like the bitterness of it, like how it tastes like Finnish nature. It's a quirky drink, deceitful, and in a way, it reminds me of a certain Norse deity. Drink too much, and you wake up in the morning with a killer headache only to realize someone's duck taped you to the ceiling. 
No, that hasn't happened to me. Yet. 

Flowers? 

Every time you pick a flower, a fairy dies. Do not bring me flowers. Ever. If you really want to give me something that blooms, plant a cherry tree for me. It will blossom year after year, bear fruit, and bring happiness to all those who see it. 
And now that we're on the fairy-issue, I feel compelled to tell you I really do believe that when a baby utters its first laugh, a fairy is born. That fairy will live on up until the child loses its innocence. 
Mine is still alive. Her wings have grown dark, but they still glitter. And no, she is never going to die. 

Music?

As a Goth, I'm supposed to love all things associated with the dark 80's. But. I have issues with the sound of the eighties. Back then, music was raw and undisciplined, and the lack of high-tech studio sound sort of gives me a little bit of a headache. I like my music soft and smooth, or hard and well-mastered. From the Goth-scene, I have a true and profound love for Depeche Mode, and nothing else. I know this paints a portrait of a poser, but in my opinion, being Goth is about much, much more than just music. The seed for the tree of Gothic culture was planted in the eighties, and with time, it grew tall and strong. Now, it has branches that span to cover anything and everything from Victorian to Steampunk to Cyber to True, and on every branch, grows a fruit inside which a unique Goth dwells. The culture isn't just about music, it's about literature, fashion, disposition. It's about looking up at the full moon on a star-lit night, and knowing that all around the wold, others like you are looking up at the same moon, sighing at the beauty of the night. 
So. Music. I like Depeche Mode, Garbage, Tool, Pantera, Opeth, Swallow the Sun, Kittie, Rob Zombie, and many others. And Korn. I grew up with them, so to speak, and they hold a special place in my heart. 

Writers? 

I'm not very picky about what I read. That I share in common with Jay. Three authors, however, I rise above all others, and they are Steve'O, Uncle-George, and J.R.R. Tolkien. I also enjoy the work of Anne Rice, Jean M. Auel, and the Weiss/Hickman-unit. I have a soft spot in my heart for historical romance, such as Through the Glass, Darkly, and Gone With the Wind. Also, I find Jane Austen enjoyable every once in a while. 

TV? 

We don't have a TV, other than to play XboX with, so I don't watch. We do stream shows, though, and own a collection of favourites. My all time fav TV-show is... Farscape. I've watched it through at least fifteen times, Peacekeeper Wars and all, and still find fresh angles on it. I love the universe, and the general idea of someone being swept away into an unknown realm, only to find themselves in the throws of war. What most thrills me about Farscape is how every character grows throughout the series. It's what makes them so life-like and unique. As I first started watching, Chiana was my favourite girl. I was young, like she was, and found myself having much in common with her. Later, I grew to like Zhan the best, idolizing her strength and wisdom. 
Now, old that I am, I find myself more drawn to Scorpius and Stark. They're both complex characters, with secrets to share. 

Movies? 

I like films that are a bit twisted, films that offer a bent take on the world. I like Fight Club, Natural Born Killers, and Kill Bills for their violence, Black Swan for the nightmarish feel of needing to be perfect, and the Marvel universe for its dream-like qualities. I want films to be an escape from reality, like books. I want them to offer me sights never before seen, to make me sigh and want to BE there, to be someone else, someplace else, in a realm that never has existed. To me, films are the extension of books, though I thoroughly dislike film-adaptions (Interview with the Vampire excluded). 

Games?

I found the joys of video games through Husband. He introduced me to Heroes of Might and Magic III, and after a few turns I asked, eyes alight with excitement, if we could play all day. He said yes, of course, and I was hooked. 
I'm quite picky about games as well. So far, I've found three that I thoroughly love. HOMMIII, naturally, which I soon spiked with the WoG-mod, Halo, and Oblivion. Halo was the first shooter I ever played, and I am still absolutely in love with my assault rifle. Though the first Halo is a bit simple in story-line, I find it an unbeatable way to release stress and aggression. I'd rather go to my XboX and shoot my way through the Library than vent my anger in real life. In a virtual reality, shooting things is absolutely acceptable, and can help with releasing hostile emotions. 
And then there's Oblivion. I cannot, dare not, tell you how many hours I've spent with it. I've played it through with at least six characters, and modded it far beyond the vanilla version. I am enthralled with the universe, and the way it lets you be anyone you like, to do anything you want. I have a tendency of leaning toward the dark side... no matter how hard I try, I always end up bowing to Sithis with dark wings on my hero's back. 
I know, I know, I should be playing Skyrim. But... well, we've tried it, both Husband and I, and neither of us liked it. Skyrim is too bloody Playstation. It looks clumsy, it's heavy, it's slow, and the dragons die too easily. 
I like Oblivion. Heavily modded, tyvm. I'm actually more inclined to modding the hell out of Morrowind than trying Skyrim again. I like my games designed for PC, old school and easy on the hardware. 

So. Now you know a little bit more about me. 
Next time, I'll share more light on Jay. 

Love, 
Heather

2 comments:

  1. Great post :) I found it most interesting. We seem to have very similar tastes in coffee, chocolate and gin... oh I love gin ;) and also similar musical tastes, I like your goth-tree analogy. Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers :) The Tree of Goth-idea first sprung when I read a heated discussion about what's goth and what's not. I wasn't too happy about the argument though I didn't take part, and upon looking more closely to everyone's opinions, I felt they were all fruits of the same tree. A tall, dark tree, with looming branches, bearing all sorts of unique fruit. We're all so very different, the fruit, that is, and still, deep withing, we're all alike. I wish everyone saw it that way, so there would be no need to argue about what's true and what's not.

      Delete